THE DOULA WORKSHOP
DONA BIRTH DOULA WORKSHOP
During the intensive 3-day workshop, students explore the emotions of and psychological processes associated with labor as well as the role of the doula prenatally, during labor and birth and at the postpartum follow-up. Participants also learn how to support birthing families as they cope with complications in pregnancy, labor and the early postpartum period. The doula’s scope of practice and ethical standards are described. The workshop does not include training in clinical skills, since those are outside the scope of practice of the doula. It is strongly recommended for those interested in working as midwifery assistants or on a midwifery path.
For certification purposes, attendance at the entire workshop is required.
This doula workshop has been approved as one step toward certification by DONA International
An optional Fundamentals of Breastfeeding for Birth Professionals class is offered at the workshop location, Saturday June 1 from 10am-1pm. This class is taught by Rebecca Plum, LM, IBCLC. Cost of this class is $110. Early-Bird registrants pay $90 at her website, and workshop attendees receive a $25 discount if you enter code “DONA”.
DOULA WORKSHOP AGENDA
- Anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, fetal development, labor, postpartum
- Components of prenatal care and the midwifery model of care
- Emotions of pregnancy, labor and birth
- Pain management techniques
- Medical procedures used in labor
- Labor variations and complications, including Cesarean birth
- Communication and listening skills
- The emotional and psychological aspects of giving birth and its significance in women’s lives
- The doula’s role, professional ethics, standards of practice, and certification
- Emotional support and physical comfort measures
- Support for difficult labors, Cesarean birth, and vaginal birth after Cesarean
- Newborn care and breastfeeding support
- Values clarification and cultural sensitivity
- Includes Introduction to Childbearing (DONA International certification requirement)
INTRODUCTION TO CHILDBEARING FOR DOULAS
Friday 9am – 6pm: DONA requires for certification that you attend a Childbirth Preparation Series (not as an expectant parent). Or take the Intro to Childbearing for Doulas class that I offer adjacent to the doula workshop (the first day of 3 days together). If you seek certification, this fun, informative day completes all Childbirth Ed requirements. It is specifically geared to doulas. If you don’t seek certification, this day lays a crucial foundation for assisting woman during birth.
Generous coffee, tea and snacks will be available. Pot-luck salad bar luncheon on Friday.
MOMS AND BABIES
Quiet babes-in-arms, 6 months and younger are encouraged to stay with their moms attending this workshop. Please discuss this with the instructor prior to registering.
- The Birth Partner: Everything You Need to Know to Help a Woman Through Childbirth (4th or 5th edition) by Penny Simkin
- The Doula Book: How a Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have a Shorter, Easier, and Healthier Birth (2002) by Marshall Klaus, Phyllis Klaus, and John Kennell